[REVIEW] NIVEA SUN PROTECT PLUS SKIN UV CREAM

No Comments

"SPF50+/PA++++ thoroughly blocks UV-A which causes sunburns.
With lotion formula and smooth gel to hydrate and lock moisture inside the skin for long hours. 
Blends smoothly the into skin without white residue. With Oriental plant extracts and mineral ingredients to hydrate and protect skin.
Suitable as makeup base. 
Enhances application and lasting effect of foundation. For face and body." - iMomoko

I googled the description of this product and it had the same description as the products from 'Kose' sunscreen line. Even though the description was basically copied and pasted on the iMomoko website, I find that the Nivea sun cream matches pretty well.

I ordered this from Amazon on March 14th, 2015 and it came to my house on March 25th.
After reading one of the few reviews (emphasize on few) about the product I wanted to see what it was all about. The reviews that I read all stated that they had dry skin and they adore this product due to its moisturizing formula which is not sticky and does not leave any white residue. I also want to mention that this product is 50g.

*For a reminder to the readers, I'm reviewing this based on my own skin type, (very) oily/acne prone skin.*


 Directions :

Use the sunscreen as the last step of your skin care routine in the morning. It is recommended to wait 15 minutes after putting on this product before being exposed to direct sunlight.
___________________________
Duration of use :
March 25th, 2015 - May 1st, 2015
___________________________

Application :


The sunscreen has a lightweight, creamy consistency which is quickly absorbed and no white residue what left behind. I can feel that the sunscreen was absorbed through my skin rather quickly and my face did not feel sticky at all. Even though this sunscreen can be considered to have a moisturizing formulation, I still recommend you to apply your moisturizer beforehand. All the reviews I've seen about this product I think exaggerated its moisturizing-ness saying you can skip the moisturizer. It was able to make my skin feel smoother, though.
___________________________

Ingredients :
Water, Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, Zinc Oxide, Cyclopentasiloxane, Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone, PEG-55 Stearate, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Hydrogenated polyisobutene, C12-13 alkyl glyceryl hydrolyzed hyaluronate, Phellodendron Amurense Bark Extract, Polyacrylamide, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, PEG-10 Dimethicone, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Stearyl Alcohol, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Tocopheryl Acetate, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben
Zinc Oxide : A UV filter ingredient which is considered to have no risk of skin irritation.

Dimethicone : A silicon-based polymer which helps form a protective barrier on the skin by reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles (it is often used in make up primers). In this formulation, you can see there are also different forms of dimethicone (a form of silicone)  such as : PEG-10 Dimethicone, Hydrogen Dimethicone, and Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer.

C12-13 Alkyl Glyceryl Hydrolyzed Hyaluronate : A moisturizing agent which repairs damaged and rough skin by improving the moisture content within the skin.

Stearyl Alcohol : Fatty alcohol which helps keep ingredients intact in the formulation of the product. It is a comedogenic ingredient which could lead to break outs of the skin and be an irritant.

Cetyl Alcohol : Another fatty alcohol which assists in keeping ingredients intact for the formulation. Another comedogenic ingredient.


Scent :

The scent of this product has a very faint, typical sunscreen and lotion scent to it. I wouldn't necessarily describe it as having a floral or perfume scent to it. It's faint to my nose, but I can still smell it. It's definitely not overpowering at all and in my own opinion, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

___________________________

pH Level :


pH level is 7.
___________________________

Moisture Test :

Before
36.1%

After (...5 minutes have passed)
41.8%

I thought the sunscreen was more moisturizing than this to be honest. I usually wear this in the morning where I have to rush my skin care routine before heading to school. Now that I put it on my face now, I can feel that the product evaporated off my face pretty fast. It is moisturizing, but not to the extent where it is reliable enough to use as a moisturizer.
___________________________

Oil Test :
___________________________


Thoughts : 

The sunscreen felt moisturizing to me, but clearly it wasn't according to the moisturizing test. I can see why some reviewers say this is 'very moisturizing' now, which is because they packed on a lot of moisturizing products on their faces beforehand. This would be more suited for those who would like a sunscreen that is lightweight yet moisturizing. It is comfortable to use because of its texture and is able to make the skin feel smoother.

I mainly bought this product because its formulation provides PA++++ (PPD16), which gives your skin a very high protection against UVA/UVB rays. This is good for those who wants to prevent their skin from obtaining freckles, dark spots, and general sun damage.
This product is sketchy in general to me (not due to the packaging, but due to its listings). It was actually kind of hard to find online besides Amazon. Asian skin care websites (besides iMomoko) didn't have this product in stock and researching this product was also hard due to its low popularity(?).

According to 'Ratzillacosme', this product was deemed discontinued yet the official Nivea seller on Amazon had this in their listing. Apparently this product was replaced with the 'NIVEA Sun Protect Plus Creamy UV Essence', which has more listings online. Since they are both sunscreens I believe they would likely have the same consistency but different ingredients.

Would I continue to use this product myself? Honestly, I don't know. I like that it has PA++++, lightweight, and gives my skin a moisture boost. But I think it makes my skin feel greasier and increases the oiliness of my skin. I'm saying this as a person with very oily skin so take my words with a pinch of salt. I really believe if you have dry or combination skin, this may be more suitable for you than oily skin types. I wouldn't say I dislike this product, I just believe it doesn't fit me.

If you have anymore questions about this product please leave a comment below~
___________________________

ProsCons
- Easy to Use- Not suitable for combination/oily skin types
- Moisturizing (for a sunscreen)- Contains silicone
- Comes in a tube container
- PA++++
- Does not leave white cast

Where to buy?
ShopPriceLocationFree Shipping?
Amazon$15.99JapanYes

Overall Score
Application                        8
Ingredients                        8
8.4
Scent                                  9
Packaging                         10
Effectiveness                   7

Repurchase : No

Complete My Seoul

                      


美容护肤

back to top